Sunday, January 30, 2011

beginning Richard II

Okay, so before I read The Tragedy of King Richard the Se.cond here is what I did:
  1. Looked up the SparkNotes of Richard II, as well as the Wikipedia page
  • From this I understood the basic plot, got to know the characters and was ready to dive into the actual text.
2. I also read the introduction in the Necessary Shakespeare text book.
  • This helped me to understand some of the basic historical information such as:
  • This play was prohibited from being performed in England because the character of Richard II was extremely easily related to Queen Elizabeth. Both being weak, and the play being in favor of replacing the existing monarch.
3. I began reading the play
  • What I noticed was that the language is beautiful.. more to come on this!