Sunday, March 20, 2011

Will and Will Play

In an attempt to fulfill the "literary imitation" requirement of the "Engage Shakespeare Creatively" Learning Outcome I have decided to write a play, where William Faulkner and William Shakespeare meet. Basically Faulkner is going to get drunk, and in his dillusion he is going to meet Shakespeare, and gain respect for him. That's all I have now, but I'm going to be calling on all the playwrights out there for some criticism/help. Here is the first scene:



ACT I

Scene 1

William Faulkner sitting at a large table, writing furiously. In a restaurant.

Faulkner

(Mumbling to himself as he is writing)

Window and doorway and signboard each in its ordered place. Excuse me, waiter!

Enter WAITER

Waiter

Sir?

FAULKNER

I have just completed my finest manuscript yet. I believe I shall call it A Sound and A Fury!

Waiter

Oh, a Shakespeare allusion I see my sir.

FAULKNER

Why, indeed good lad.

WAITER

A great way indeed to give homage to one of the greatest writers who ever walked the earth!

Faulkner

(A bit foul tempered due to the WAITER's comments)

Why, I could write a play such as Hamlet if I wanted to!

waiter

(disbelieving)

Uh, yes sir, indeed. What'll you have?

FAULKNER

A scotch. And I don't want to see the bottom of that glass, do you understand me? Tonight I am celebrating the completion of my manuscript.

WAITER

Sir.

exit WAITER

FAULKNER

there's a bold lad, flaunting Shakespeare as the greatest writer to ever live, as if he were a relative blabbering about a young nephew.

enter WAITER with a glass of scotch and a bottle on a tray.

WAITER

here you go sir. I trust you will be able to poor to your own desire.
FAULKNER

yes indeed, thank you.

exit WAITER